Immigration in Florida

Application For Naturalization and Examination

According to United States Federal Law (Title 8, Chapter 12, Subchapter III, Part II, section 1445), to apply for naturalization a person must be at least 18 years old, must make and file with the Attorney General a sworn application in writing and the application must be signed by the person in his or her own handwriting if the applicant is physically able to write. 

Before a person may be naturalized, an employee of the Immigration and Naturalization Service, or of the United States designated by the Attorney General, will conduct a personal investigation of the person applying for naturalization (the personal investigation may be waived in an individual case). The purpose of this preliminary examination is to give the government an opportunity to investigate the fitness of the person for naturalization. The person seeking naturalization will be questioned, under oath.  The scope of the questioning is limited by statute to the applicant's residence, physical presence in the United States, good moral character, understanding of the fundamental principles of the Constitution, ability to read, write, and speak English, and other qualifications for becoming a naturalized citizen as required by law. The questions to the applicant must be repeated in different form and explained, if necessary, until the officer conducting the examination is satisfied either that the person seeking naturalization fully understands the questions or is unable to understand English. Aliens seeking naturalization must strictly comply with all the requirements for citizenship; even after citizenship has been granted, the failure to comply with any requirement for naturalization can form the basis for a later denaturalization proceeding.


Also read:


U.S. Birth Certificates for Foreign Children Adopted in Florida By U.S. Citizens

According to Florida Statute 382.017, a foreign or alien child adopted in Florida by persons who are United States citizens and Florida residents or who are United States citizens and are domiciled in Florida, the Florida Department of Health and Rehabilitative Services, will make and file a birth certificate upon receipt of a certified copy of the decree of adoption. The certificate shall show the child's new name, date of birth, and such other information concerning the adoptive parents as may be necessary to complete the birth certificate.

The birth certificate will be labeled ‘Certificate of Foreign Birth’ and will show the true country and date of birth of the child and will state that it is not evidence of U.S. citizenship for the child.  After registering the certificate of foreign birth in the new name of the child, the Department of Health will seal the adoption report or decree. The seal will not be broken except pursuant to a court order. If the child was born in a foreign country but was a U.S. citizen at the time of birth, the Department of Health shall notify the adoptive parents, or the child if of legal age, of the procedure for obtaining a revised birth certificate through the U.S. Department of State.


Do you need an Immigration lawyer?

If you have questions about naturalization or adoption of a foreign child it would be wise to consult with an expert immigration lawyer. Your local Broward County lawyer will explain your rights and help to make the process both smooth and efficient. For help here, see 9 of the Best Immigration Lawyers in Broward County.